Tuesday, November 14, 2006

An Amazing Film

I saw Borat opening weekend, and frankly, I laughed my ass off. I appreciate a good, stupid comedy, and Borat was that. It was awesome, offensive, but funny as hell. While I love a good comedy from time to time, my true love, as movies goes, are of a different caliber. Last weekend I went to the theatre again, this time to see a movie that has slipped through the cracks a bit. While Borat has pulled in the #1 box office slot for the past few weeks, another movies has gone unnoticed. That Movie is Stranger Than Fiction.

Stranger Than Fiction is an amazing movie. It is the story of Harold Crick, an IRS auditor, who lives his life by numbers and calculation. One day he begins to hear a voice, a narration that he is the subject of. Harold Crick's life begins to change upon hearing that voice and he transforms from a man who did the same exact thing everyday, alone, to living. Here is the trailer.




It is a beautiful movie. It's comedy and drama all in one. Will Ferrell surprises with an amazing performance. He always seems like such a goofball actor but he takes on the role of Harold Crick and the result is amazing. The lovely Maggie Gyllenhaal, though a secondary character, shines as usual as Crick's love interest, Ana Pascal. Though a surprising pair, they somehow work beautifully together. It is perhaps in being complete opposites that they fit so beautifully together.

Stranger Than Fiction does not disappoint. It, in fact exceeded my expectations. It is a very well written, meaningful film and it is defiantly worth seeing.

1 comment:

Caroline Skinner said...

I've got to agree that Borat was offensive, but also hilarious. I'm usually a bit of a cynic when it comes to "stupid comedies" but there was no way I could keep a straight face while watching this movie. Somehow, I find it refreshing to see the envelope pushed a bit in the mainstream media.